heaven on earth

by.thebeareroflight

Aug 9, 2008

Movies: Money No Enough 2

Posted by bearer.of.light


I was looking forward to catching the movie for some time, after hearing many positive reviews (from the general public, not film critics) and watching some of the promotional clips of the movie.

If you've seen the reviews by film critics in the papers, you'll notice the very poor appraisal of the film. In addition, Lianhe Wanbao ran a frontpage "critic" article of the movie.

So what's my take on it?

Well, it's the usual Jack Neo style, so nothing much to comment on the jokes and the setting/ plot of the movie. Some scenes were unneeded and appeared rather draggy, making the movie a bore to watch at times. The thing I cannot stand most about the movie has to be the lack of soundtrack. The repeated playing of the SAME song to reflect the mother's loneliness AT 3-4 DIFFERENT SCENES got on my nerves. If you really wanted a very "touching" climax, you would have AT LEAST used a different song for the final touch. I got quite irritated by the music, hence I wasn't really moved.

Honestly, I think I'm Not Stupid/ I'm Not Stupid 2 is still better. In my opinion, Money No Enough 2 isn't as funny as Money No Enough (1) and the I'm Not Stupid series. It lacks some finishing touches too.

The excessive use of CG is really unnecessary and I can't fathom why Jack Neo decided to add these to the movies - they aren't that funny, nor is the CG impressively beautiful. It doesn't progress the plot either. Trying out something new maybe?

So should you watch the movie? Well, yes. Cause if you don't, you won't have anything to rant and whine about with your friends if they start talking about the movie.

image linked from moneynoenough2.com

0 comments: