heaven on earth

by.thebeareroflight

Jan 16, 2009

Eden Lake

Posted by bearer.of.light



[image linked from rottentomatoes.com.au]

Very few movies are worth me writing a review on my blog. Very few movies deserve my effort to break out of laziness for updating the blog. Eden Lake, however, is one of them.


This ain't some mystery thriller (like Scream or I know what you did last summer) nor is it a paranormal (supernatural) horror movie. Rather, I'ld classify it as a psychological thriller. It features the scariest plot you can ever see on the big screen - the darkness of humans. Kids, or teens to be exact.


I will not give a plot summary, for you can easily google this. But this is a movie which leaves you thinking. It is a movie which is genuinely scary, not because of loud music and sudden bangs but rather, the horror comes from what man can cook up on the inside. In other words, how scary and animalistic us human beings can become.


I understand that the plot isn't too original, but the director/ cinematographer has taken pains in making the film. There are, however some goofers:


a. In my opinion, the female character is seriously one of the most intellectually challenged character I've ever seen on the big screen. Instead of running to ask for help when her guy was trapped in the car by a tree trunk, she spent the night hiding. Instead of running to call for help, she stood watching and gaping as her guy was tortured. She took really long to realise a weapon on her would be good. There were points in the movie I felt like just slapping her for her silliness.


b. The mobile phones in the forests are weird. The kids and the guy can get mobile reception, but the girl's mobile phone somehow can't.


c. In a particular scene on the beach, the shadow of the boom microphone is spotted in the frame. This, frankly speaking, is rather unpardonable IMO.

In the end, however, the female lead ends up killing those whom could have helped her and ran for refuge in the wrong house.


This is one of those films where the good guys instead of the baddie dies. That's realistic in our world ain't it?

Reminds me of the 2 books I've read recently - The Story of Edgar Sawtelle and White Tiger - more about that in another post.


Meanwhile, it's Changeling tomorrow. Hope it'll be as good.

0 comments: